Wheels for Kids provides wheelchairs to disabled children who are financially unable to purchase them on their own, and who do not qualify for public funding or other charitable sources. It is our belief that working parents should not have to give up their livelihoods to give their child the most healthy and independent life possible.
At Wheels for Kids our ultimate goal is to make sure a disabled child who needs a customized wheelchair receives one from Wheels for Kids after exhausting all other sources. It is important to read the following information on qualifying for a Wheels for Kids wheelchair.
It is important to read the following information on qualifying for a Wheels for Kids wheelchair.
Wheels for Kids will consider applications for wheelchairs based on the following guidelines:
1. The child must be 22 years of age or younger and a resident of Palm Beach County.
2. The child must have a disability and need a customized wheelchair for mobility.
3. The child/parent has been denied by other funding sources (including personal or private insurance).
4. Parents/families have financial restraint(s) or challenge(s) and cannot purchase a customized wheelchair without help
from other sources.
Step 1: Complete the online application or if you prefer, download the application and send it to Wheels for Kids, P.O. Box 57, West Palm Beach, FL 33402. (You will receive a letter notifying you that we have received your application.)
Download Application (to mail it in)
Step 2: Provide Wheels for Kids with the following documentation:
- Copies of documentation stating proof that the child is 22 years old or younger. (birth certificate)
- A copy of the doctor’s prescription stating the child is disabled and what customization is necessary for his/her wheelchair.
- Copies of denial letters from other funding sources (including personal or private insurance).
- A written statement by the parent or guardian describing financial restraints or challenges such as siblings, single parent family, medical challenges, greater hardship, etc.
- A copy of a written wheelchair evaluation by a wheelchair vendor and physical therapist stating the child’s needs for a customized wheelchair.
Step 3: A representative from Wheels for Kids will contact the family to schedule a time to meet with the parents and child, review information, and complete the application process.
If you have any questions during the application process, please call us at (561) 752-0799. Wheelchairs are subject to availability and provided at the discretion of the Board of Directors.